• 1 kg all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsp. honey
• 1 egg
• 1 glass of sugar
• 1 coffee cup of milk
• ½ cup Cretan Tsikoudia by Savouidakis
• 1 glass of water
• "Lof" Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for frying)
• Place the flour in a basin with a bit of water, the egg, milk and the Cretan Tsikoudia by Savouidakis and knead until the dough thickens, then leave it to rise for 1-2 hours.
• Then, roll out a very thin phyllo pastry 2-4 cm in width, fold it in different shapes and fry in plenty of very hot olive oil. Take care so that it does not turn red, but preserves its blond color.
• Take them out and strain them.
• Then, follow these steps to make the syrup:
• In a pot, add the water and the sugar, constantly stirring, and let them boil for 10-15 mins until it thickens.
• Remove from the heat, add the honey and continue stirring constantly, so that it does not stick.
• Then, put the Xerotigana one by one in the syrup - held by a toothpick - for 1-2 mins, pull them out, place them on a platter and sprinkle with a bit of sugar and cinnamon. If you wish, you can also add some roasted sesame.